Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reading IS Sexy, Don't Let Anyone Tell You Otherwise


Aside from trying to seriously commit to writing every day on my break this summer, I have also created a reading list of books I have deemed either necessary/important to read or that just looked like fun. Ironic that, after 9 months of reading text books and PDFs on postmodern hyperspace, all I seem to want to do now is read more.

Anyway, I figured if I wrote out the reading list (as a work in progress) and sent it out into cyber world, I might hold myself more accountable than if I write it on rumpled notebook paper and stuff it in my sock drawer (besides, I feel like using the same paper I used for classes is bad karma...)

Plus, when I run out of things to read, I always find myself wishing I could find a list of recommendations (that aren't stamped with Oprah's book club seal.) So I'll be arrogant enough to assume that, if anyone stumbles across this and is looking for a few good reads, they'll think my suggestions are worthwhile....

Here it is, in no particular order:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao -Junot Diaz
Watchmen- Allan Moore
Caramelo -Sandra Cisneros
Everything is Illuminated -Jonathan Safran Foer
Daughter of Fortune -Isabel Allende
Point Omega- Don DeLillo
The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios- Yann Martel
A Wild Sheep Chase & Kafka on the Shore- both by Haruki Murakami
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven- Sherman Alexie
Best American Travel Writing- An Anthology edited by my favorite author, Sloane Crosley
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin -Erik Larson
Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card
Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut
Carter Beats the Devil -Glen David Gold
The Final Confession of Mabel Stark -Robert Hough

It's kind of an eclectic selection of books, but I like that. It's nice to have a little variety, especially because I tend to fixate on one author or genre when I am into it, and more than two Haruki Murakami books in a row can wear on you.
I also have about five issues each of The New Yorker, Newsweek, and Time waiting for me on my Kindle, so I should be well stocked up for the summer.
My plan is to check each one off, then write a little review of it when I finish.

This blog shall be as eclectic as my taste in books!

No comments:

Post a Comment